Civic Education Institute, Helena, Aug. 5-6
Engaging Montana Students in Active Citizenship
Montana Superintendent of Public Instruction Denise Juneau is sponsoring a Civic Education Institute in Helena, August 5 and 6, 2013.
The Institute is open to middle school and high school educators in Social Studies, History, and Government.
National speakers and Montana experts will provide professional development training on:
• iCivics, the web-based interactive program supported by Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, This program has received national attention and has ignited a renewed interest in civics education,
• Incorporating the role of Montana tribal governments in civics education,
• Additional civic education resources including Project Vote Smart, Mission US, and We the People.
• Aligning civic engagement with the Montana Common Core Standards and Indian Education for All.
Montana Supreme Court Chief Justice Mike McGrath will discuss the importance of the judicial branch of government. On Monday evening August 5th, Governor Bullock will host a reception for Institute participants in the Capitol rotunda from 5:00-6:00 p.m.
Here is what you need to know:
1. Space is limited to 60 educators, so register early
2. The Institute is free of charge – we will provide a $50.00 travel stipend for those traveling to Helena
3. You can earn 12 OPI renewal units
Registration: You can register now at http://www.keysurvey.com/f/511327/2cf9/.
Info: For more information, please contact Terry Kendrick at 444-3449, firstname.lastname@example.org